Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm No Chef

My mother is admittedly a terrible cook - maybe not...she just loathes cooking, baking, and the like so no one really knows if she's any good. Anyhow, as a result I have no cooking abilities myself. Over the passed 7 years of marriage I've managed to go from terrible to bad with the help of Ben's annoying help and critique.

Usually I stick with the regulars...tacos, spaghetti, frozen lasagne's dressed up with salad from a bag and store bought garlic bread. I have ventured to experiment with new recipes, but 9 of 10 typically end up going down the garbage disposal.

Amazingly, just last week I had new 2 hits! Even Ben and Caleb liked them and they are the pickiest of the crew. The first was a Chicken Sausage Rigatoni Pasta dish. Found it on foodnetwork.com - it's from Rachel Ray. It was super yummy, definitely worthy of a dinner party, and I don't usually have success with her stuff.

The second was a Cheeseburger Meatloaf from Paula Deen, also found on foodnetwork.com. We don't usually like meatloafs at our house. I cook about 1 a year and it's always tolerated not enjoyed. This one was actually enjoyed and I'm sure it's due to the bag of cheese and 10 strips of bacon added to the heart clogging hamburger. Do not feed this to any husbands with a family history of heart disease. It's pretty bad, but good. I only put in half a bag of cheese and 8 strips of bacon and it was still great.

I would wager to say that these are pretty fool proof if I was able to figure them out. Give 'em a shot and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Alissa said...

i used to LOATHE cooking, but i realized, i just loathe cooking the same things over and over. and so i tell you that my family hasn't had the same thing for dinner twice in over a month. i guess i just need to keep it interesting...

our favorites:
salmon cakes with lemon aioli
honey lime chicken enchiladas
little italy chicken pitas
pasta primavera
waikiki meatballs

email me if you want recipes.

Stephen + Lauren Reber said...

Will do...I'm getting tired of my regulars. And I have a lot of simple recipes that you should try out too. (I'm a functional cook...big believer in simple, easy, hearty meals!)

Sarah said...

I always love new recipes! I get tired of making the same old, same old and am lazy about finding new recipes, so thanks for the new ideas! :)

Also, I need to get back to you about the girl's weekend! Woohoo! I think it will be so fun to get everyone together. I have been living under a rock since we got back from Utah on purpose since I've been reading Breaking Dawn. Oh my goodness!!! Have you read it? Can we please discuss? :)