Thursday, December 4, 2008

Proud Mommy Moment

Luke has taken a gymnastics class for the past year and a half and we will be missing the last few weeks of this session because we're leaving to UT next week. He has been making them up this week and has attended 3 classes, 2 of which were with a different teacher. Today after one of his make-up classes the teacher came up to me and said that she really enjoyed having Luke in her class the last few times because he was such a good listener, so well behaved, not to mention adorable. Although Luke was within listening distance she was talking to me for my benefit...not to me in order for the child to over hear and feel proud. Do you know what I'm talking about? I was surprised with myself when I suddenly felt my throat go tight with pride, I can only imagine the crying boob I'll turn into when someone might tell me he is such a good missionary, or an honorable date for their daughter.


Luke really is a great boy (definitely adorable) and I've seen him listen and use kind words, so why is it he so easily tunes my voice out???

Lastly, tonight as we were getting ready for bed I was singing 'Once There Was a Snowman' to Caleb while I was brushing his teeth. I overheard Luke singing along and these were the words...

In the sunny mountain, mountain, mountain
In the sunny mountain, small, small, small

I said "no, Luke, it's in the sun he melted, melted...you know like snow melts to water." And he says with total exasperation, "no Mom, in the sunny mountain!!" He totally thought I was pulling his chain like I do when I sing the Thomas song starting with...

They're 12, they're 2, they're 6, they're 10
Shunting sticks and hauling clothes

They think I'm hilarious because they know these aren't the words to the song. Now when I'm really trying to tell them the correct words they still think I'm teasing. Whoops!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

So sweet. It is amazing how easily they can tune us moms out though. Sometimes I think I would get more of a response by talking to the wall. Way to go Luke in gymnastics! He looks so old in this picture.

Sarah said...

I love that picture of Luke! He looks so cute and so grown up! That is so awesome that he did so well in gymnastics, I often wonder if my children are as bad for other people as they are for me, and I think the answer is no... at least I hope they're better!! :)

Paul, Kami and Henry said...

Wow, that is the cutest picture I have ever seen! He looks like he belongs in a J. Crew magazine.

Mom said she wants the picture for Christmas. Can't wait to see you guys!

Unknown said...

Luke is such a cutie! He is looking all grown up.
I am NOT surprised that he is such a good boy, look at who his mentors are: you and your wonderful hubby. :)