Monday, January 19, 2009

The Good and the Bad of our 'Departamento'

So, here's the place. Not to shabby, heh? We like it, but like all places it has good and not so great features.

Here is one (yep 1 of 2) of our bathrooms. I no longer have to share a bathroom with my kids. However...there is no bath tub. We're still trying to figure out how to shower the boys. It's been a little tricky.

And now, most gloriously...a dishwasher and a washer & dryer!! I've used the washer & dryer at least 5 times already and even though it takes 2 cycles to dry each load I don't even care!! I don't have to haul my laundry anywhere but back and forth between rooms!! YEA!!!


And finally, some pictures of the outside. I told some of you that we quite literally live in a hole. Apparently, the complex couldn't rent these out because no one wanted to live in the hole long term so this is why these are furnished and available on a month to month basis. They've made an effort to make it a little better than the cement wall that it is and when the pots bloom it should be pretty, but it's still a hole. I'm sure they've broken like 20 US fire and safety codes, but hey...it's Mexico.

And this is just stitches waiting to happen.

A Few Other Tid-Bits...

What's he doing you may ask???


This is Tuesday night and previously this day we bought some groceries including uncooked, doughy tortillas because we thought we would be moving into our place. We decided not to take the place (it's a longer story) and we checked into a hotel across the street from Ben's school. After Ben's class he came back and wanted to make some dinner. Talk about thinking outside the box, right?? He even melted a little cheese on top. The boys thought it was great.

So the next time you're in a hotel you'll have to wonder how many people with bed bugs have slept in your bed, how clean the shower really is, AND about what was ironed before you iron your husband's shirt for church.

Also,we went to the grocery store again on Saturday and the boys each had thier heads rubbed by 5 different ladies. They're loved by Mexican Chicas!! By the way...I hate grocery shopping with Ben and I hope to only have to do it a few more times. He takes FOREVER!!! Granted, he enjoys looking at all the yummy Mexican foods he hasn't seen in 10 years, but the longer we're in the store the more battles I have to intervene between brothers, the more explanations I have to come up with as to why we aren't buying more junk, and the faster I lose patience.

All and all, there have been more good than not so great things about being here and we are enjoying ourselves. I think it's going to take us another week or so to figure a schedule and a rhythm that works for us and then we'll start to site-see. By the way, it's 75 degrees here!! That is the last I'll mention of the weather, I promise!

13 comments:

Alissa said...

wow. the place really doesn't look too bad!

and it sounds like you're having a blast.

Paul, Kami and Henry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul, Kami and Henry said...

It looks really nice! So Luke and K-Cup are getting attention from the mamacitas, huh? Just think if you guys stay down there till they're teens! And the entry doesn't look bad at all. Hope we can come see it soon!

Waltman said...

Nicole your place looks really nice! We miss you at playgroups. So far it's just me and Jennifer. I'm sure her boys are really missing your boys. I'm jealous of your weather, it's been about 5 degrees here this weeek!

Melanie said...

Your apartment is pretty nice and I love the pic of Ben making dinner. enjoy the warm weather for me!

Trina said...

Cute little apartment. I bet you love the weather and to be able to get the boys out of the house. Are those stairs (stitches waiting to happen) how you get into your house, or is it just somewhere around the house? Have fun !

Sarah said...

Your house is really cute! I can't believe you guys are down there, that is so, so fun! I wish we could come visit you guys! Christian's youngest brother Matt was a year and a half when they lived in Guatemala and was also a little toe head. He was mobbed whenever they went to the market or anywhere. I doubt that's going to stop while you guys are down there! Your boys are just too cute.... and too blonde! :)

PS - love the picture of Ben making the tortilla with the iron! It's genius! :) I think I'll be cleaning my next hotel iron the next time I use one, though! ;)

robin said...

curse you and your 75 degree weather!!

no, really, it looks great and what an adventure!

The Harker's said...

Looks like you guys are having fun already! I am sooo jealous of your washer and dryer! Someday we will get those again...

gabeandstef said...

Hey guys I didnt know you moved to mexico. Hope you dont mind that I found you blog I was actually on a friends blog and seen jerid and stacie on there list. So i clicked over to see what was going on with them and found you guys. Small world I tell ya. It looks like you guys are doing good. An i love the short hair nikki it is cute. And you are so lucky i would give anything to have 75 degree weather.

Unknown said...

Yet another adventure for The Rad Rollins family! I would have never guessed that Niki would be such an adventurous woman! :) I'm VERY impressed!!
Your place looks great and the weather is something to definitely be envious of!
Enjoy your time in Mexico.
PS- I love Ben's hot plate/iron.....nice, very nice!

Anna M said...

Fun times! Enjoy the weather while you are there. Pass on the stitches though.

Jeanne Petti said...

Hi Nicole!
wow - the place looks amazzzzing!! I'm so glad to hear that you all made if there safely and are doing well. I'll be sure to keep checking in to see how you all are doing. I'm so jealous!
Oh and I love the new haircut - beautiful! Life must be so much easier now!
- Jeanne