Monday, January 26, 2009

Christmas and Feliz Año

Christmas in Utah and a Feliz Año in Mexico...

This is the Dutson Family on Christmas Eve at The Roof in Salt Lake City. My parents reserved a private room in the back which was great for the boys. I didn't have to worry about them bothering anyone or acting up. Luke, however, still managed to display an awful bit of ill-manners by letting a huge and long burp escape on our way to the buffet. It was charming!

This is Christmas day at the Dutson's. Caleb loved his Curious George, Luke LOVES the DS that his dad got, and they both love the Woody Cowboy doll (or as Uncle Brad calls it, the "Woody Action Figure, right Luke??") that Santa brought.

Nothing like the post gift opening, candy for breakfast tradition.

This is Christmas day at the Rollins'. Ben put together a little 'kit' of musical instruments and sheet music for his parents and everyone jammed after the present opening. I made the comment that they were the "HO, HO, HO band" and thought to myself, "that comment made at my parents house would have led onto a different comical path." Ha, ha!

In celebration of Ben's 30 years on Earth, Mom & Dad Rollins rented snowmobiles again this year. We have a similar picture of Caleb last year hating the helmet. He did, although, enjoy the ride.


Some one brought those super yummy, but what have to be the messiest sugar cookies, up to the cabin when we went snowmobiling and Grandma asked all the kids to eat them outside. I'm glad to see that Luke listened...sort of.


Also, while in Utah we visited with the Robertsons. It was so fun to see old friends. Luke was a little apprehensive at first, but quickly reacquainted himself with Anna and enjoyed the visit. I loved that we could pick right up where we left! Love it!!


Some of you may know that the boys and I stayed in Utah until Ben got down to Mexico and found some housing. We hadn't scheduled any flights because Ben had yet to call and confirm that he had a place for us. He finally called on a Friday night to tell us that we should come Sunday (like as in less than 48 hours) and if we couldn't, to get flights for Thursday.

I really didn't think that we would be able to pack (after being in UT for a month) or find reasonable flights with such short notice. Apparently we can! Previously, on this same Friday night Ben's mom and I talked about doing a little birthday party for Luke before we left-maybe Sunday or Monday night. After Ben and I talked I went to bed thinking we'd stay until Thursday and Ben got on the computer and booked us flights for Sunday morning. Saturday was a crazy day full of laundry, packing suitcases and boxes (for things we couldn't take) and throwing together a small get together for Luke's birthday.

All of his cousins and a lot of the aunts & uncles met at McDonalds for dinner and cupcakes. Luke loved it, which is what matters most!


And that brings us to Mexico...we've spent most of our time here getting organized and oriented, but last Friday we finally took some time to visit Parque Fundidora.

Beautiful, huh? We took the boat ride down the river and got off to tour the old, historic building (that's as much as I know about it - hard to learn anything on a tour that's in Spanish with 2 boys wanting to touch everything. Afterwords, we walked up the river and had dinner at this cute little restaurant.


The boats go back and forth every 20 minutes and we were able to ride back in the dark which was just as beautiful. The water features with the lighting they installed is amazing. Caleb enjoyed the boat ride.


Also, we've figured out how to bathe the boys. This is the bucket that housed their toys on the way down from NY. They love it!


And finally, a big birthday shout-out to my 5 year-old boy whose actual birthday is today!! We ate Mac N Cheese for lunch on Lighten' McQueen plates we bought at WalMart. When I asked Luke what he'd like for his birthday lunch he said very slyly, "cake & presents???" He's had enough presents. Today he got sung a birthday song and lots of hugs & kisses!!

6 comments:

Cheerfully Charmed said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YUKE!!! (I can't believe he's 5!)

I love the new bath you have for the boys! Classic picture! Your place in Mexico looks so nice. I'm way jealous you're staying nice and warm. It's snowing here right now! :(

Hasta Luego!

Paul, Kami and Henry said...

Happy Birthday Luke!! What a cute birthday boy. Did he get the monk-e-mail that I sent?

That bathtub is awesome. I died when I saw that...you're pretty creative!

Love you guys!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Luke!!! I can't believe that these kids are turning 5! We LOVED getting to see you guys so much and it is so fun that we can pick up right where we left off, it makes me realize just how much I am missing without you here! We will have to get together again soon, hopefully! :)

I laughed SO hard at the "bathtub". You are so creative and I can't believe both of the boys fit in there. I love it. It looks so beautiful there, too! That restaurant is adorable. Give Luke some birthday hugs from us, even if we are a day late! :)

Sarah said...

PS - how you packed up and made it to Mexico in 24 hours AMAZES me! Only you, Nicole!

Anna M said...

Happy Birthday Luke. I love the bucket tub.

Trina said...

I love the bath tub. That's so creative an I bet it works just as good. Awesome!